2013 Closing Regatta
October 19, 2013
NEW ORLEANS YACHT CLUB
NOTICE OF RACE & SAILING INSTRUCTIONS
- Organizing Authority
New Orleans Yacht Club, 403 N Roadway St., New Orleans, LA 70124.
All races will be governed by the 2013-2016 Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS) and the Prescriptions of the United States Sailing Association except where altered by this notice and the Sailing Instructions. Sailing Instructions will be available at registration.
- All boat shall carry all U.S.C.G. required safety equipment.
- All boats shall carry a functional VHF radio and monitor channel 68. The Race Committee will monitor channel 68.
These races are open to all spinnaker and non-spinnaker boats.
- Yachts may register in advance online or at the club on the day of the race. No entry is complete until payment has been received.
- Current GYA PHRF, or X-PHRF ratings and a valid rating certificate are required. Boats with a Portsmouth rating that can be converted or crossed-over to a PHRF rating may be accepted. Otherwise the Race Committee will assign a temporary rating with an estimated six seconds penalty. Provisional ratings assigned by the Race Committee will be accepted without protest, and may not be protested. PHRF ratings may be obtained online at www.gya-phrf.com.
The entry fee is $15.00 or $10.00 for US Sailing members. Payment maybe made by credit card, cash, club charge, etc. The preferable method of payment is at the NOYC Website.
- Notice to Competitors or Changes to Sailing Instructions
Notices to competitors will be posted on the official notice board located near the rear entrance or announced at the skipper's meeting.
- Signals Made Ashore
Signals made ashore will be displayed from the flagpole located in dry storage. If a postponement is signaled ashore, the warning signal will be made not less than 45 minutes after flag AP is lowered.
- Schedule of Events
||Warning Signal - 1 Race Attempted
- Classes and Class Flags
Class breaks and flags will be announced at the skipper's meeting. At a minimum there will be one spinnaker and one non-spinnaker class.
- Racing Area and Course
The racing area will be located on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain using fixed marks. The course will be be shown by the committee boat before the warning signal.
- Non-Spinnaker Sail Restrictions - These may be altered at the skipper's meeting.
- Only one headsail may be carried at any time except when changing headsails. The headsail my be roller furling, a headsail that is attached with a twin foil headstay or a
headsail that is hanked to the headstay with hanks no further apart than 48 inches. No spinnaker may be
carried. No bloopers may be carried. No poleless spinnaker or gennaker may be carried. Staysails are
permitted; however, the tack must be attached no less than 1/3 the distance of the "J" measurement
behind the jib tack point. The distance behind the jib plus the LP of the Staysail must not be greater than
the rated LP of the boat. Yawl and Ketch rigged vessels may carry mizzen staysails.
- Whisker poles are to be no longer than the yacht's spinnaker pole (usually "J" measurement, found on PHRF Certificate) and must be attached to the mast. Only one Whisker Pole may be carried at any time.
- Time Limit
The time limit expires 30 minutes after the first boat in a class finishes. If no boat in a class finishes within 2 hours, the time limit will expire for the entire class.
- Protests - This changes Rule 61.3
This regatta will be sailed using the US Sailing Prescriptions APPENDIX T - ALTERNATIVE PROCEDURES FOR DISPUTE RESOLUTION. Sections A, B, and C shall apply. Protests must be filed within 45 minutes after the committee boat docks. RRS T4.6 is deleted
The Low-Point scoring system of Appendix A will apply.
Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be awarded for each class. It is the goal to award prizes 90 minutes after the last boat finishes.
Jay Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.